Sadly he did not inherit my preference in Ninja Turtles

It’s been amazing over the last 3 years to learn what exactly is genetic.


For example, I just learned that concern for hats is hereditary on you fathers side.


So my son and I were at Lagoon, our local amusement park,  for some bonding yesterday. Not wanting to engage in another genetic fun fest known as skin cancer, we both lathered up in sunscreen and made sure to keep our hats on as much as logistically possible.



This is of course limited in a place like Lagoon to what you are doing. You can’t wear a hat on a roller coaster that is worth riding. My son quickly got the hang of handing me his hat and explaining to me that this was so I could sit on it so “It won’t fly off.”


Eventually, after he tried a few rides that were a little above weight class he started to get a bit of an ego about how brave he was. He decided to prove this by going on the “Skeleton Ride” which is how he referred to the haunted house ride.


As soon as we sat down in our car he handed me his hat.


“Oh, this isn’t a fast ride,” I told him. “You don’t need to take off your hat.”


“But the skeletons might grab it.”


I didn’t want to spoil the sense of immersion just yet so I tried to be vague. “Don’t worry buddy, that won’t happen.”


“Why?”


I hate that word so much ever now that I have a three-year-old.


I sighed. Maybe it would be for the best that my son not think all the horrors we were about to see were real. “I’m going to be honest with you son, everything we’re about to see is a robot.

“Robots can still grab our hats.”

No comments: